Learn how to make Arroz con Leche and impress your loved ones with this sweet Spanish dessert. Check out our easy-to-follow Arroz con Leche recipe.
Today my friend Ana is going to share a recipe for Arroz con Leche from her grandmother.
Ana is from the Basque country and she really likes Spanish gastronomy. She learned to cook from a young age by observing her grandmother and mother. Ana loves discovering different flavors and trying the dishes she cooks.
Arroz con Leche may be an old dessert, but it has proven to win the hearts of many – even the young ones of today.
It is prepared widely in Spain, most especially in the north.
The best Arroz con Leche recipe is the one that can be conveniently done at home.
With only a few ingredients needed, this dish can easily be your go-to dessert.
- What is Arroz con leche?
- How to make Arroz con Leche?
- Ana’s Tricks to make Arroz con Leche
- What are the best toppings for Arroz con Leche?
- Where did Arroz con Leche originate from?
- Spanish Arroz con Leche Recipe
- Arroz con Leche Recipe from the Basque Country
What is Arroz con leche?
Arroz con Leche in English is rice pudding. Its literal translation is “rice with milk.”
Basically, an Arroz con Leche recipe will have you cooking rice in different kinds of milk and then sweetening it with sugar and spices.
The traditional Spanish Arroz con Leche is a well-loved dessert.
It is simple and easy to make and can be served hot or cold, depending on your preference.
How to make Arroz con Leche?
A classic recipe for Arroz con Leche calls for rice, milk, sugar, and lemon zest. Other recipes will ask you to add in spices.
Gather your ingredients for Arroz con Leche and get ready to cook one of the easiest desserts you will ever make.
The cooking and setting part takes some time, but the wait is surely worth it.
Ana’s Tricks to make Arroz con Leche
- Add a pinch of salt to the milk.
- Stir, stir, stir all the time with low heat.
- Stir everything with a wooden spoon.
- A soup spoon is about 10 grams of sugar.
What are the best toppings for Arroz con Leche?
Where did Arroz con Leche originate from?
Many articles will tell you that Arroz con Leche came from Spain. It has a Spanish name, to start.
However, some claim that the Muslims were the ones who influenced Spain into embracing this dessert. They brought the rice pudding to the country when they conquered the southern part of the Iberian Peninsula.
Spain, though, is undeniably the mastermind as to why Arroz con Leche is loved worldwide.
It influenced many countries during its voyages, giving birth to many Spanish Arroz con Leche counterparts across the globe.
Spanish Arroz con Leche Recipe
- 3 litros de Leche fresca
- Cascara de una limon (o naranja)
- 250 gr de Arroz (una tasa llena de arroz)
- 80 gr de azúcar
- Put three liters of fresh milk over low heat.
- Add a pinch of salt, 2 sticks of cinnamon and the peel of a lemon (or orange) to the milk.
- When the milk begins to boil add about 250 grams of rice and about 80 grams of sugar.
- Stir everything well with a wooden spoon so that the sugar mixes well.
- Let the heat simmer and stir often until the milk forms cream. An hour, an hour and 15 minutes!
- When this is done you put it in a bowl, leave it for three minutes, and then cover it with ground cinnamon.
- Enjoy your Arroz con Leche.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 81Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 27mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate.