Delicious and easy berenjenas fritas con miel recipe. Learn how to prepare Spanish homemade crispy fried eggplant with honey.
Berenjenas Fritas is a popular tapas dish in Andalucia and a great vegetarian tapas option.
The honey gives the dish a sweet taste and makes it a great starter or tapas.
Did you know?
The Moors brought this eggplant dish to Spain during the 700 years that they ruled the Iberian Peninsula.
How to prepare Berenjenas Fritas?
Preparing Berenjenas Fritas with honey is easy. First, wash the eggplant and cut them into round one-centimeter or 0.4 inches thick slices.
Afterward, add the slices to a big bowl, add a pinch of salt, and cover them with milk for at least one hour. This step is important to draw out the bitterness of the eggplants.
Now, coat the eggplant slices in flour and fry them in hot, extra virgin olive oil.
Serve the eggplants on a plate, season with salt, and drizzle with, for example, honey.
Delicious Berenjenas Fritas con Miel Recipe
- 1 eggplant
- Sea salt
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cut the eggplant in around 1 cm or 0.4 inches thick slices.
- Put the eggplant slices in a bowl and cover them with milk for at least one hour. Add a pinch of salt. This step is important to draw out the bitterness of the eggplants.
- After one hour drain the eggplant slices and coat them in flour. Optional: Add salt and pepper to the flour and mix.
- Heat up extra virgin olive oil in a large pan and add the first batch of eggplant slices. Don't add too many slices at the same time to make sure that they turn crispy evenly.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the pan and drain them on a paper towel.
- Serve them on a plate, season with salt, and drizzle with honey.
- Enjoy your home-made Berenjenas Fritas con Miel (Spanish Crispy Fried Eggplant with Honey)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 536Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 361mgCarbohydrates: 101gFiber: 13gSugar: 23gProtein: 14g
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate.